Saturday, February 25, 2012

Apps and quads

Surveyed my students this week about apps they use for school. Not surprizingly, they do not use their technology for educational purposes. They only ones I got were calculator and dictionary.
Showed my classes the various applications available through Google. Next year, I will start the class with students setting up a gmail account and basic intro into docs (all areas). They are not really receiving any practical technology at school. I don't know how we have been buying so much technology that no one is actually using.
Assignment: Think about the activities/lessons you have completed this week. What quadrant would the majority of them fall into? What is the highest quadrant you reached? Describe a change you could make to bump up the quadrant of that lesson.
Most of the lessons this week were in quads A and B. We are starting a new unit on economics and are covering vocabulary and basic concepts; background information. Also, did some updates on current affairs. I try to do that at least once a week. Some times we spend a few minutes; sometimes most of the period.
We used SAS in School to explore the question "Are Regressive Taxes Fair?" Most of students do not think so...Steve was surprised his don't think so either. We also saw a brief (18 minute) film about the basics of Capitalism. While that was some variety; we may have hit C briefly; but not a strong push.
In a perfect world, I would like students to review the main ideas in the text and make their own video presentation about the contentgs to present to the others. However, at this point, there is not enough time. I want the spend most of our remaing time on personal finance; which keeps us in the upper quads the majority of the time. Many of my students really need this information...way before I can get to it in March and April.

No comments:

Post a Comment